Saturday, February 12, 2011

Back with a superb internet connection...well, at least for today!

Guess what everyone! I was able to post! So I haven't posted since before Thanksgiving. HAPPY CHRISTMAS and NEW YEARS! Hope your new year's resolutions are going well!

I am currently teaching at a school in the Mt. Kilimanjaro region. I am teaching mathematics at the A-level (kind of like the first two years of college) and computers. Then, I am teaching chemistry at the O-level (like high school). It is going well, but there are a few things that are a little rocky. All the things that go along with being a first year teacher. I am slowly learning.

I am really enjoying my life in Tanzania and I actually feel that I can get around by myself. People finally believe that I am able to go to the market by myself and find my way around town. I can even bargain. Last weekend, I bargained for a taxi (trust me this is a big stepping stone). I am able to somewhat communicate with the students. Though my form 2 student still laugh at me. Eventually, I will be able to communicate and teach in English and Swahili without laughing.

I had a good holiday season. I spent it at school. I went to church on Christmas. So during the service, I was really trying to pay attention and understand. But I just didn't know what was going on. So I found out later, that the service was actually in kichaga, which is a local language in the area. Also, I now know about 10 words in kichaga. I am learning both kiswahili and kichaga. When I speak kichaga, everyone always laughs because I am a mzungu (which means white person). On New Years, I visited the mother of my friend.

Since then, I have been teaching. On the weekends, I go to the local market to buy food for the following week. On Sunday, I go to church and do all the cleaning and washing for the week. So the average day is as follows:
6 am- I wake up and go for a run or do yoga.
6:30 am - I return, get ready for school and eat.
7:35ish- Running a little late, I head to the school chapel for school devotions.
8:00ish - School starts and I teach, prepare lessons, and correct. It depends on the day for my teaching schedule
4:00ish - I leave school and go home about a 2 minute walk. I live on campus.
until about 5:30ish I do whatever and then prepare dinner, and do whatever until about 10 pm when I go to bed.

I am really excited to return and cook some of the tanzanian food I am learning to cook. I am learning to cook boiled bananas (don't say you won't try it before you have tasted it) because it is delicious. It is probably one of my favorite food. I can make ugali, kind of rice, and chipati. I have had a failed attempt of doughnuts, but I think I figured out the problem today. So I will report back on that.

So since today is the 12th of February, I am going to throw out a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHELE! I hope that you have a great birthday!

Well, that is all for now.

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment